The incident of gas leaks has again come to light in Visakhapatnam. Gas leaks are reported again at the same place where the incident took place in the early hours of Thursday. 50 firefighters are present on the incident and NDRF staff along with them is also holding a front. Along with this, PTBC Chemical has been airlifted from Gujarat to Visakhapatnam by Air India's special cargo aircraft to neutralize the gas leaks.
Fire brigade officer of Visakhapatnam district, Sandeep Mohan said that work has been started to move people to safe places in the area up to 5 km around the company. There has been leakage of styrene gas in the company due to which the health of the people around is deteriorating.
According to the latest information, 10 more fire engines have reached the spot. There are also 2 foam tenders with them and ambulances are ready to deal with any emergency. The Andhra Pradesh Police has also issued a helpline number, on which people can contact and ask for help. The police appealed to the people to evacuate the surrounding villages and not panic.
The incident is from Gopalapatnam area of Visakhapatnam. Earlier, there was a leakage of styrene gas at 2.30 am on Thursday and the gas leak occured in LG Polymers India Pvt. Ltd. Company. So far, 11 people have died due to the gas leak and many are being treated in the hospital.
Initial investigation report revealed that the accident occurred due to a problem in the gas valve, whereas at 2.30 am on Wednesday and Thursday, the gas valve went bad and poisonous gas leaked. Visakhapatnam Municipal Corporation Commissioner Shrijna Gummalla said that according to the initial report PVC or styrene gas has leaked and the leakage started at 2.30 am. Hundreds of people came in the grip of gas leak and many people fainted.
According to Greater Visakhapatnam Municipal Corporation officials, "The closed chemical unit due to the lockdown implemented in view of prevention of corona virus epidemic was restarted on Thursday morning. After some time, the gas stored in the tanks started leaking and gas spread within a radius of three kilometers. According to officials, "styrene and pentane gases were possibly the cause of the accident."