Mumbai: 5-Year-Old Girl Swallows LED Bulb, Undergoes Major Surgery to get it Removed

Mumbai: 5-Year-Old Girl Swallows LED Bulb, Undergoes Major Surgery to get it Removed

The 5-year-old was immediately rushed to a local hospital. After reaching the hospital, and while undergoing bronchoscopy, she became unconscious and was put on a ventilator.

In a shocking incident, a 5-year-old girl from Uran had to undergo a series of surgeries to remove a LED bulb which she had gulped.

The incident took place on November 16, 2018, when Samruddhi Sanjay Pawar put the LED bulb, used for Diwali decorations at her home, in her mouth and gulped it. After this, she started coughing and became breathless. The 5-year-old was immediately rushed to a local hospital. After reaching the hospital, and while undergoing bronchoscopy, she became unconscious and was put on a ventilator.

After bronchoscopy was done, the procedure failed and the child developed a cardiac arrest during the surgery. But, the doctors revived Samruddhi with cardiopulmonary resuscitation and four DC shocks to the heart. However, Samruddhi had already suffered a lot of bleeding in the lung due to which she had to be put on a ventilator. The next day Samruddhi was transferred to Lilavati hospital, where, on November 18, the doctors removed the bulb along with the pin through a surgery.

At Lilavati hospital, an urgent CT scan of the chest was done to delineate the exact location of the object. The CT confirmed that the prongs were dangerously close to large arteries, so an emergency retrieval was planned. The child's chest was opened on November 18. The doctors removed the bulb along with the pin through major surgery. 5-year-old Samruddhi is fine now but has to undergo regular follow-ups.

Related Stories

No stories found.
Since Independence
www.sinceindependence.com