1. Anil Kumble – 45 wickets from just 12 red ball games played in South Africa. Despite the conditions in SA not being favourable to the spin bowlers, India’s Jumbo has picked up the most wickets in that country, which shows the calibre and class of this engineer-turned-cricketer.
2. Javagal Srinath – 43 wickets from just eight Tests played in the Proteas Nation. Srinath was the premier pace bowler of his time for Team India. He used the conditions of the Proteas nation well which supports the pace bowlers and that’s why Javagal is the second-highest wicket-taker for India in South Africa.
3. Mohammed Shami – 35 wickets from just eight red ball games in South Africa. Shami was just brilliant in the ODI World Cup 2023 and India is missing his services in the current series. He is the third-highest wicket-taker for the Men in Blue in the Proteas nation.
4. Zaheer Khan – 30 scalps in eight games in South Africa. Zak was a wonderful pacer of his time. He had a glorious career for India in the Test matches and ODI format. Khan was the fourth-highest wicket-taker for India in the Proteas Nation.
5. S Sreesanth – 27 wickets in 6 red matches in South Africa. The aggressive fast bowler from Kerala is the 5th highest wicket-taker for India in the Test matches played in the Proteas Nation. Sreesanth is still remembered for his massive six which he had hit to the South African pace bowler Andrew Nel in the 2007/2008 tour.
6. Jasprit Bumrah – 26 scalps in six Test matches. Boom Boom Bumrah is the lead pace bowler of the Men in Blue in this current Test series against the home side. He has a golden chance to add more wickets in his tally. He is the sixth highest wicket-taker for India in the red ball matches played in South Africa currently.
SA Vs IND: After losing the 1st Test match, the Men in Blue will aim for a comeback in the second and the final red ball match, which has been started at Newlands Stadium in Cape Town, the venue where Rohit Sharma and his men are yet to win a match of the longest format.
India’s bowling was also a concern in the last game in Centurion. The visitors gave away more than four hundred runs when they bowled. Apart from Jasprit Bumrah, none of the bowlers of the Indian team could make some early inroads.
Boom Boom Bumrah picked up a four-wicket haul in the first match of the series which India lost by an innings and 32 runs.
Today, in this segment, we have made a list of all the bowlers of the Indian Cricket Team who have picked up the most wickets in the Proteas Nation with the red cheery in hand in the Test matches played till now –