Rhea Chakraborty, who was arrested after the drugs angle surfaced in the death of Sushant Singh Rajput, was dismissed. She will now have to spend 14 days in jail. Apart from Rhea, the petition of Showik Chakraborty, Abdul Basit, Zaid Vilatra, Dipesh Sawant and Samuel Miranda was also dismissed. Judge JB Gurav said that it is a serious crime and it needs to be investigated.
Earlier, the Metropolitan Magistrate Court of Mumbai had reserved the judgment on Thursday. Rhea appealed to the Metropolitan Magistrate Court after the bail application was rejected in the Magistrate Court. Rhea was arrested by the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) on 8 September. On the other hand, the Enforcement Directorate (ED) can file a new case against Rhea.
3 arguments of Rhea’s lawyer in court
1. NCB pressured Rhea to admit the charge during the interrogation.
2. No female officer was present during the interrogation of Rhea.
3. Rhea’s arrest was not needed. Her freedom was arbitrarily banned, she is being implicated.
NCB’s 4 arguments against Rhea’s bail
1. Protocol was fully taken care of during the interrogation of Rhea.
2. Electronics are evidences against Rhea.
3. Many people arrested in drugs case have confessed that they were in contact with Rhea.
4. Although the quantity of drugs seized in this case is small, but the price is 1 lakh 85 thousand 200 rupees.
ED can investigate money transactions in drugs case
The ED investigating the money laundering in Sushant case can file a new case. An ED official said, “We are seeking legal advice to file a new case. Earlier, we had filed the case on the complaint of Sushant’s father KK Singh, who was involved in withdrawing money from Sushant’s bank account.” The new case will be based on the results of the NCB investigation, as there have been several arrests in the drugs case. The ED will also look at the angle of money earned from drug trafficking and drug purchases.