Sri Lanka beat India by 3 wickets in the last ODI. The target of 227 runs was achieved by the Sri Lankan team in the 39th over at the loss of 7 wickets. Team India had to lose 7 wickets in making 68 runs. Due to this the team was all-out for 225 runs in 43.1 overs.
Due to rain, 1 run was increased in Team India’s total (225) under the Duckworth Lewis Method (DLS). According to DLS, India’s total was 226 runs. Avishka Fernando top-scored for Sri Lanka with 76 runs. He received the Man of the Match award for this. At the same time, Bhanuka Rajapaksa scored 65 runs. Shikhar Dhawan led Team India to victory in his first series as a captain. India won this series 2-1. Suryakumar Yadav received the Man of the Series award. Now the 3-match T20 series between the two teams will start on July 25.
Avishka and Rajapaksa’s innings helped Sri Lanka win
- Sri Lanka did not start well. The team’s first wicket fell for 35 runs. Gautam got Minod Bhanuka caught by Chetan Sakaria. He got out after scoring 7 runs. This was Gautam’s first international wicket.
- After this Rajapaksa and Avishka took over the innings. During this, Avishka scored the second consecutive fifty in the series. He scored 50 runs in the second ODI. Avishka has overall 5th fifty in ODIs.
- There was a partnership of 109 runs for the second wicket between Rajapaksa and Avishka. Rajapaksa scored his first half-century in ODIs. After this Chetan Sakaria took 2 wickets in 7 balls.
- Sakariya got Rajapaksa caught by Krishnappa Gautam on the last ball of the 23rd over. He scored 65 runs in 56 balls. This was Sakariya’s first international wicket.
- After this, on the last ball of the 25th over, Sakariya caught Sri Lankan vice-captain, Dhananjay de Silva, on his own ball. He could score 2 runs.
- Charith Aslanka was dismissed after scoring 24 runs off 28 balls. He was LBW by Hardik Pandya. Aslanka and Avishka shared a 43-run partnership for the third wicket.
- Spinner Rahul Chahar brought excitement to the match by taking 3 wickets in the last moments. Sri Lanka lost 4 wickets within 26 runs. He first got Sri Lankan captain Dasun Shanaka caught by Manish Pandey. He got out for zero.
- Chahar then got Avishka Fernando caught by Prithvi Shaw. Avishka scored 76 runs in 98 balls. Sanju Samson stumps Chamika Karunaratne on Chahar’s ball.
- However, in the end, Akila Dhananjaya and Ramesh Mendis took Sri Lanka to victory. Mendis remained unbeaten on 15 runs and Akila 5 runs.
Team India lost 7 wickets in making 68 runs
Team India was all-out for 225 runs in 43.1 overs. The team lost 7 wickets in the last 68 runs. This includes the wickets of Manish Pandey, Hardik Pandya, Suryakumar Yadav, Krishnappa Gautam, Nitish Rana, Rahul Chahar, and Navdeep Saini. Sri Lankan spinners took 6 wickets, wreaking havoc. Praveen Jayavikarama and Akila Dhananjay took 3 wickets each.
Apart from this, Dushmantha Chamira got 2 and Chamika Karunaratne-Dasun Shanaka got 1-1 wickets. Manish and Hardik failed in the third consecutive ODI. Manish could only score 74 runs in 3 matches in this series. At the same time, Hardik scored 19 runs in 2 matches. He was dismissed for zero in the second ODI.
Manish Pandey and Hardik Pandya fail in the ODI series
- India got the first blow in the form of captain Shikhar Dhawan. He got out after scoring 13 runs. Dhawan failed in the second consecutive ODI. He had scored 29 runs in the last ODI.
- After this, Prithvi Shaw and Samson together took over India’s innings. Both of them shared a 74-run partnership for the second wicket.
- After this India lost 2 wickets within 16 runs. With 1 wicket for 102 runs, the team’s score became 3 wickets for 118 runs.
- Prithvi Shaw missed the first fifty in ODIs. He was LBW by Sri Lankan captain Dasun Shanaka on a personal score of 49 runs.
- Samson played brilliant innings of 46 runs in his debut ODI. He was caught by Jayavikarama at the hands of Avishka Fernando. There was a 74-run partnership for the second wicket between Shaw and Samson.
- After the rain, till the 25th over, Team India’s score was 157 for 3 wickets. After this, spinner Praveen Jayavikarama gave India 2 blows.
- Jayavikarama first got Manish Pandey caught by wicketkeeper Minod Bhanuka. He was dismissed after scoring 11 runs off 19 balls.
- Jayavikarama then LBW to Hardik Pandya. He could score 19 runs in 17 balls. Akila Dhananjaya LBW to Suryakumar and Gautam.
- Suryakumar was dismissed after scoring 40 runs in 37 balls. At the same time, Gautam could only score 2 runs. Debutant Nitish Rana was dismissed for 7 runs.
- Rahul Chahar scored 13 and Navdeep Saini made 15 runs. Sakariya remained not out on 0. Chahar was dismissed by Chamira and Saini was dismissed by Karunaratne.
47 overs due to rain
The rain ruined the game of about one and a half hours. Due to this, the umpire reduced 3-3 overs from both innings. This was followed by a match of 47 overs. The game was stopped after the 23rd over of the Indian innings. The match started again at 6:30.
Heavy drama in the 23rd over
There was heavy drama on the field in the 23rd over. Praveen Jayavikarama’s first ball went and hit Suryakumar’s leg. After this, the on-field umpire Kumar Dharmasena declared him out. Suryakumar immediately used the Decision Review System (DRS). The impact in ball tracking was outside the line. However, the ball was hitting the wicket.
Sri Lankan players were happy after seeing the wicket hitting. They thought they got the wicket. Suryakumar also started returning to the pavilion. That’s when umpire Dharmasena called Suryakumar back and changed his decision and gave him not out. Sri Lankan players were shocked to see this. They didn’t even believe it.
6 changes in Team India’s Playing-11
India made 6 changes in the playing-11 for this match. Out of this, 5 players made their ODI debut. Sanju Samson, Nitish Rana, Chetan Sakaria, Krishnappa Gautam, and Rahul Chahar played ODIs for the first time. Navdeep Saini got the place for the death overs.
The debut of 5 players for the first time since 1980
Last match heroes Deepak Chahar, Ishan Kishan, Krunal Pandya, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Kuldeep Yadav, and Yuzvendra Chahal were rested. This was the first time since 1980 when 5 players made one debut together. Dilip Doshi, Kirti Azad, Roger Binny, Sandeep Patil, and Tirumalai Srinivasan debuted together in 1980. Most players of a Test-playing nation made their debuts in ODIs against Sri Lanka.
3 changes in the Sri Lankan team
At the same time, Sri Lankan captain Dasun Shanaka made 3 changes to the team. Spinners Wanindu Hasaranga and Kasun Rajitha, who were successful in the second ODI, did not play these matches due to injury. Praveen Jayavikarama, Akila Dhananjay and Ramesh Mendis got a place in the team.
— BCCI (@BCCI) July 23, 2021
India: Shikhar Dhawan (Captain), Prithvi Shaw, Suryakumar Yadav, Manish Pandey, Sanju Samson (wk), Nitish Rana, Hardik Pandya, Krishnappa Gowtham, Navdeep Saini, Rahul Chahar, Chetan Sakariya.
Sri Lanka: Dasun Shanaka (captain), Avishka Fernando, Minod Bhanuka (wicketkeeper), Bhanuka Rajapaksa, Dhananjaya de Silva, Charith Aslanka, Ramesh Mendis, Chamika Karunaratne, Dushmantha Chamira, Akila Dhananjaya, Pravin Jayawickrama.
Like and Follow us on :