On Thursday, US President Donald Trump has signed two executive orders against the Chinese parent company of TikTok and messaging app WeChat, citing national security concerns. This order will come into force within 45 days. It prohibits any American company or individual from transacting with TikTok’s Chinese parent company ByteDance, and WeChat. This means that these apps will not available on Apple’s App Store or Google’s Play Store in the US. This decision has been taken at a time when the US presidential elections are due in November. Earlier, Trump had threatened to ban TikTok in the US.
Chinese apps remain a threat to national security: Trump
On the other hand, Microsoft confirmed that it was in talks to acquire TikTok’s US operations. Trump has said that Chinese apps remain a threat to national security, foreign policy, and the economy. At this time, an order has been issued specifically for action on Tiktok. According to Trump, TikTok automatically obtains user information and allows the Chinese Communist Party to access personal and proprietary information of Americans.
Company would comment on this order soon: TikTok’s spokesperson
TikTok’s spokesman said the company was looking at the order and would comment on it soon. Trump told reporters at the White House on Monday that TikTok would be forced to restrict US operations until September 15 if it was not sold to a US company. He also said that if a sale occurs, part of the proceeds should go to American taxpayers.
India has so far banned 106 Chinese apps:
Prior to the US, India has also done a digital strike against the Chinese app. In late June, India banned 59 Chinese apps, including TikTok. After that, in the second phase, 47 more Chinese apps were banned.