Social media platform X has closed more than 100 accounts linked to Hamas. The company has given this information after receiving a warning from the European Union.
X CEO Linda Yaccarino said that hundreds of accounts have either been shut down or their content labeled/blocked following the Israel–Palestine conflict. Linda said that all these handles were linked to Hamas, the terrorist organization attacking Israel, and were sharing thousands of misleading content on social media.
After the Hamas attack on Israel, many such contents were going viral on X, which were disturbing and against social media rules. Regarding this, European Union's Industry Chief Thierry Breton had asked Musk to take immediate action and respond within 24 hours. EU has implemented new rules under the Digital Services Act. If this is not followed, fine or ban can also be imposed on social media platforms.
On October 7, Hamas suddenly attacked Israel. After this, Israel also fired several missiles in Palestinian territory in retaliation. So far 2,500 people have been killed in the war. Of these, about 1,300 are Israelis. So far, about 1,200 Palestinians have also lost their lives.
This conflict has been going on in this area of the Middle East for at least 100 years. There is dispute over areas like West Bank, Gaza Strip and Golan Heights. Palestine claims these areas including East Jerusalem. At the same time, Israel is not ready to give up its claim on Jerusalem. Gaza Strip is between Israel and Egypt.
This place is currently under the control of Hamas. This is an anti-Israel group. In September 2005, Israel withdrew its forces from the Gaza Strip. In 2007, Israel imposed several restrictions on this area. Palestine says that an independent Palestine state should be established in the West Bank and Gaza Strip.