BharatPe co-founder Ashneer Grover said on Friday that he is not at flight risk. When there is a possibility of a person leaving the country before the court hearing, it is called flight risk. This statement of Ashneer comes after he and his wife Madhuri Jain were stopped at Delhi's Indira Gandhi International Airport on Thursday. Both were going to New York.
On the request of the Economic Offenses Wing (EOW) of Delhi Police, a Lookout Circular (LoC) has been issued against both of them. EOW has called him for questioning next week. In May, following a complaint by BharatPe, the EOW had registered an FIR against Grover, his wife and family members Deepak Gupta, Suresh Jain and Shwetank Jain for fraud of Rs 81 crore.
Grover has been in controversy ever since his name came to light in early 2022 in the case of him using abusive language with Kotak Mahindra Bank staff. After that the news came after Madhuri Jain Grover was removed from BharatPe.
She was accused of using company money to buy personal beauty treatments, electronic products and a family vacation to America and Dubai. Payments to personal staff were also made from the company account and fake receipts were made and presented to known people.
Hello ! Hello !
What is going on in India? At present, Ashneer is being stopped at the airport, sir.
1. Since the FIR in May, I have not received any communication or summons from the EOW till 8 am today (7 hours after returning from the airport).
2. I was going to America from 16-23 November.
3. On immigration he said that LoC is in place sir - let us check with EOW.
4. I found this strange because I have traveled internationally 4 times since the FIR was filed in May - never had any problems and was not stopped even once.
5. Meanwhile missed the flight – EOW people instructed the immigration to let us out so that we can return home.
6. EOW summons delivered home this morning - I will cooperate as always.
There is no drama. There is a process to remove LoC - I am not a flight risk - it is easy to prove. Whatever else you want to print, print it. The movie is playing for free - enjoy!
Look Out Circular i.e. LOC is also known as Look Out Notice. The Look Out Circular prevents any person from traveling abroad. After the issue of this notice, the accused is banned from leaving the country.
Look out notices are used for immigration checks at international borders such as airports, maritime zones and ports. Issuance of a look out notice means that the immigration officer can stop such a person at the airport itself. Or can take them into custody.
In some cases, the police can approach the court to ban a person from leaving the country. This happens when the person is suspicious and it is suspected that he is trying to avoid joining the investigation.